2014 Sling 4
R1,790,000.00 + VAT
The Sling TSi, like its predecessors, has received critical acclaim for its capabilities, effortless handling and all-round functionality. The name ‘TSi’ is a homage to its Rotax 915 iS engine and marks a new chapter in TAF’s vision to build the world’s most loved light aircraft.
Mike Blyth, founder of The Airplane Factory had this to say of their latest development; "The brand-new Sling TSi stands out as the new standard for 4-seat experimental aircraft. It outperforms most others in every way. Compared to previous models it has increased speed, increased rate of climb, longer range, increased carrying capacity, more space and greater comfort all whilst flying the best handling aircraft in its class!"
The Sling TSi is powered by a 141hp Rotax 915 iS Fuel Injected Turbo Charged Engine burning just 8 gph (31 lt/hr) in the cruise. During test flights, the aircraft reached a maximum straight and level speed of 155 KTAS and has a range of 800 Nm. With its luxurious cabin, low fuel burn and Garmin avionics, it will please private pilots and flight-training organisations alike. This 4-place aircraft comes standard with a bespoke 3 blade Airmaster constant speed propeller, Garmin 10 inch G3X touch EFIS, Garmin G5 backup EFIS, Garmin GTR 200 COM radio, Garmin GTX 35R remote transponder, Garmin autopilot system with GMC 307 autopilot controller and PM 1000 II 4-place intercom.
The completely redesigned exterior features high quality materials and design integrity, as well as great practicality and a range of technologies to improve comfort, convenience and safety.
The result is an aircraft with an uncompromising mission: To offer unrivalled performance, safety and reliability in the hands of all pilots no matter the mission.
The Sling TSi is our new addition to the Sling light sports aircraft family, featuring 4-seats and
powered by a 141hp Rotax 915 iS Fuel Injected Turbo Charged Engine.
To view the Sling TSi's Specifications and Performance, please right click on the icon below, select "save target as" and save the PDF to view it later.
|Standard equipped empty weight||1,080 lbs / 490 kg|
|Maximum Takeoff Weight||2,094 lbs / 950 kg|
|Maximum Useful load||1,014 lbs / 460 kg|
|Horsepower||142 hp @ 5 500 rpm (Continuous)|
|Wingspan||31 ft 2 in / 9.5 m|
|Length||23 ft 5 in / 7.175 m|
|Height||5 ft 9 in / 1.81 m|
|Cabin Width||44 in / 1.8 m|
|Maximum Allowable Speed (Vne)||145 ktas / 167 mph|
|Cruise Speed - 75% Power - 6000ft AMSL||135 kias / 155 mph|
|Stall Speed - Clean||57 ktas / 66 mph|
|Stall Speed - Full Flaps||45 kcas / 52 mph|
|Maximum Demonstrated Crosswind||15 ktas / 17 mph|
|Landing Distance - Braked||558 ft / 170 m|
|Rate of Climb - Sea Level||1000 fpm|
|Maximum Operating Altitude||18,000 ft / 5,486 m|
|Limit loads||+3.8 g and -1.9 g|
|Wing loading||82.54 kg/m²|
|Power loading||6.74 kg/hp|
Rotax 915 iS (142 hp) turbo engine Stainless steel exhaust Sling TSi constructed from CNC punched aircraft grade aluminium Direct cool air into composite airbox with large K & N air filter Anodised main spars, all aluminium parts Alodined and all components are primed for corrosion protection Oil cooler and radiator for hot and cold operation Front gear, engine mount and pedals made from 4130 steel In line oil thermostat Robust main gear from uni and biax glass fibre & aircraft grade epoxy Standard with 2 electric fuel pumps Robust coil spring with needle roller bearings on front gear Airmaster 3 blade constant speed composite propellor with nickel leading edge 172 Litre (45.4 US gal) wet fuel tanks in wings Polished aluminium prop spinner Large electrically operated slotted flaps Composite wingtips, wing and tail fairings, nose fairing, instrument panel top, Ailerons and elevator use pushrod controls with bearings MGL Odyssey multifunction EFIS which also displays: All control surfaces swivel on ball bearings EGT, CHT, oil temp, oil press, rpm, fuel level, fuel press, fuel flow, manifold press, Inspection hatches at all junctions and inspection points 3 1/8" backup instruments - ASI, altimeter, slip indicator, standard panel mount compass Full dual controls - sticks, pedals, throttle and brakes MGL V6 VHF radio / intercom with Rami 10V VHF antenna Matco axles, wheels and powerful hydraulic disc brakes with park brake Mode C transponder with rod antenna 5" front wheel and 6" main wheels with 6 ply aviation tyres all round Full 2 axis MGL auto pilot Composite wheel spats on all 3 wheels Cast aluminium unheated pitot tube with angle of attack 1115 mm (44") wide cockpit Internal red LED cabin light Fixed windscreen, roll-over protection bar and lockable gullwing doors Glove / map box in instrument panel Electrically operated elevator trim tab Landing / taxi lights (double LED) in both wings RAC stick grip with ptt button on RH seat stick Triple Nav / strobe lights on wingtips and tail RAC stick grip with PTT, elevator trim and flap buttons on LH seat stick Locking fuel caps Circuit breakers in the instrument panel Andair fuel selector valve (selection - left, right, off) Adjustable front seats - both base and back Painted single colour on the outside and grey interior Adjustable pedals Halon fire extinguisher Leather upholstery (seats, map pockets and stick boots) and leatherette interior side panels First aid kit with emergency signal strips Centre console with padded armrest and small storage hatch Interior sunshields Large 0.15 m³ (8 ft³) baggage compartment Lightweight canopy cover Ballistic parachute fitted as standard Plugs and covers for intakes and pitot tube Cabin heater Fuel tester Log books, pilot operators and maintenance manuals Engine tool kit Registered and with flight authorization or with the necessary paperwork for export orders Test flown, trimmed and instruments calibrated
Optional Upgrade Items
Carbon fibre look on panel and centre console Aveo triple LED strobe and nav light system with lifetime warrantee Aviation start keyed switch - master|left|right|both|start Vacuum pump system with gauge and regulator Special colour paint scheme per extra colour Artificial Horizon gyro vacuum gauge Special complex stripes on fuselage, wings or spats Artificial Horizon gyro electric gauge Dual toe hydraulic brakes instead of hand operated brake Direction Indicator gyro gauge Xenon landing light (single) instead of standard Halogen (price for each one) Turn Coordinator Indicator electric gauge Garmin SL30 NAV COM with AV 12L antenna (instead of MGL V6) Night lights on "6 pack" analogue instruments with dimmer Garmin SL40 radio and intercom with 10V VHFantenna (instead of MGL V6) Course Deviation Indicator gauge PM 1000 II Intercom with VOX and music input Zaon Collision Avoidance PCAS XRX installed Ameriking ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) Elevator trim on both sticks (full dual operation) A second MGL Odyssey EFIS with own SP6 & 7, backup battery (no analogue gauges) FT-6- Red Block Fuel Flow Transducer (instead of the standard flow sender) A second Odyssey EFIS with own SP6 & 7, backup battery (keeping analogue gauges) Arrange CAA test flights and approvals for flight school training Authority to Fly VSI 0 - 2,000 ft/min
Kit builders do not only receive support from the friendly staff at The Airplane Factory, but you also have support through the extensive kit building manual supplied with your kit and our Kit Build Channel on YouTube, supplying you with informative videos which assist in building your Sling kit.
- Empennage Kit:
- Kit for construction of complete horizontal and vertical stabilisers, rudder and elevators, hinges, control connectors, trim tab, composite tips.
- Wing Kit:
- Kit for construction of complete set of wings, including already assembled main spars, flaps, ailerons, hinges, bellcranks, fuel tanks, pitot mount brackets, composite wing tips.
- Fuselage Kit:
- Kit for construction of complete forward, mid and rear fuselage, including fully assembled centre spar, rear spar, seats, all control mechanisms (throttle, brake, stick, pedals etc), firewall, engine mount attached to firewall.
- Undercarriage Kit:
- Complete undercarriage kit including main and front gear, main gear mount bolts, front spring & related parts, wheels, tyres, tubes, axles, bearings, hydraulic brake system.
- Canopy Kit:
- Complete canopy kit including front and main canopy frames, front windscreen, main canopy, closing panels, basic over centre catch, sealant
- Instrument Panel Kit:
- Top instrument panel cowl with all mounting hardware, adjustable air vents, instrument panel face cut to suit customer requirements
- Final assembly / hardware / finishing Kit:
- Kit includes everything required to effect final assembly of aircraft, including nose cowling, all composite closing fairings, pushrod assemblies, related rivets and hardware
Kit packed in separate cardboard & plywood boxes - required for freighting
ROTAX 915 iS 142 hp turbo engine
Rotax 914 UL Firewall Forward Kit
Propellor - Airmaster constant speed
MGL EFIS system complete plus backup analogue flight instruments
MGL V6 radio, Trig transponder, hannesses & antennas
Auto Pilot system
Landing lights & strobes
Airframe components, wheel spats etc.
Leather upholstery, carpets etc
Extras, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, covers etc.
Documentation, fees & inspections
Suggested minimum tools
Welcome to the press room for The Airplane Factory's Sling 4 light sports aircraft. You will find a list of website and magazine articles related to our aircraft model, photos, videos and any FREE screensaver images. Please check back regularly as we will update this page as new material becomes available.
View the embedded image gallery online at:
Below are some of our videos relating to the Sling 4, one of the lights sports aircraft models manufactured by The Airplane Factory.
Remember to bookmark our Youtube Channel to keep up to date with our latest videos we have uploaded.
Website Online ArticlesAirplane Factory USA October 2012
Pilots Post October 2012
Kitplanes USA July 2012
EAA Online October 2011
Aero News Network August 2011
Sa Flyer Magazine August 2011
EAA Online August 2011
* Please note you will need Adobe Reader to read the pdf documents above
Making A Quote / Order Request
Making a quote or order request is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Choose which type of Sling 4 you would like to buy:
- If you would like to start with a kit, click on Kits and Pricing to the left under the Sling 4 model picture.
- Select the items you would like to include in your order or quotation request as well as any optional extras you would like.
Once finished, click on the 'Provide me with an official quote/invoice request' at the bottom.
- Fill in your contact details and necessary information and 'Submit' this info to our Sales Team
- Choose which type of Sling 4 you would like to buy:
Terms & Conditions
These standard terms and conditions of sale shall, in the absence of a written and signed agreement to the contrary, govern the sale of all products and/or services by The Airplane Factory to any person.
- Quotes are valid for a period of 30 days after signature on behalf of The Airplane Factory.
- A quote constitutes an offer of sale by the Airplane Factory to the customer on The Airplane Factory’s standard terms and conditions set out in this document.
- A quote signed by the Customer and delivered to The Airplane Factory constitutes a binding agreement of sale between the parties on The Airplane Factory’s standard terms and conditions.
- By signing a quote the Customer confirms that he/she has read and understands the terms applicable to the order and considers him/herself/the Customer bound by them.
- The address used by the Customer on a signed order form, and The Airplane Factory address appearing on such form, shall constitute the domicilium citandi et executandi address at which the parties shall be entitled to serve all documents and notices upon one another.
- Prices are subject to change without notice, but are fixed on the day of an order.
- Payment for aircraft shall be made as follows – a 30% deposit with order, 30% at power plant installation and outstanding balance immediately prior to delivery.
- Payment for kits shall be made as follows – a 30% deposit with order and the outstanding balance immediately prior to delivery.
- Order changes requested by the Customer may incur delays and/or changes in price.
- Should a Customer cancel an order, 10% of the order will be retained by The Airplane Factory towards costs incurred.
- Orders may be transferred from one customer to another.
- Prices are ex-works The Airplane Factory premises, South Africa.
- Any freight charges will be quoted separately and must be paid prior to shipping.
- Production position for aircraft and parts thereof will be assigned upon receipt of order and payment of the applicable deposit.
- Storage/hangerage fees are chargeable if collection is delayed by more than 1 week.
- All outstanding sums owing by a Customer to The Airplane Factory shall attract interest at the prime rate of interest quoted from time by the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited.
- If a Customer should fail to make due payment to The Airplane Factory of any sum, and persist in failing to make such payment within 2 weeks of demand by The Airplane Factory, The Airplane Factory shall be entitled, without prejudice to any other entitlements which it may otherwise enjoy, to cancel the Customer’s order and proceed on the same basis as if the order had been cancelled by the customer.
- Products and services supplied by The Airplane Factory are sold subject to the standard Airplane Factory waiver and release of liability which appears immediately below this these standard terms and conditions of sale. The waiver and release of liability is incorporated into and forms part of these terms and conditions of sale by incorporation.
Release from liability
- All customers of The Airplane Factory ("Customers") release The Airplane Factory from all and any liability for loss, harm or damage which they or others may suffer pursuant to their purchase of goods or services from The Airplane Factory. This release from liability ("the Release") shall include all of the terms set out below.
- The Customer understands and acknowledges that this Release applies to the purchase of any goods and/or services from The Airplane Factory, the manufacture or servicing of any aircraft pursuant to the purchase of any such goods and/or services, and the operation of any aircraft purchased, serviced or manufactured pursuant to the purchase of such goods or services.
- The Customer understands that such operations may be dangerous and may result in injury, including death, and the Customer assumes such risk.
- In consideration of The Airplane Factory supplying the Customer with the goods and/or services supplied, the Customer voluntarily releases, discharges, waives and relinquishes any and all actions or causes of action for personal injury, property damage or wrongful death occurring to him/herself arising as a result of the supply of the said goods and/or services to him/her, or any activity engaged in pursuant thereto, including without limitation the manufacture or operation of any kit aircraft. The Customer also, for him/herself, his/her heirs, next of kin, personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors, agents, assigns and insurers, releases, waives discharges and relinquishes any action or causes of action which may hereafter arise for him/herself and/or for his/her estate, and agrees that under no circumstance will he/she and/or his/her heirs prosecute, or present any claim for personal injury, property damage or wrongful death against The Airplane Factory, its officers, agents, employees so arising, and, insofar as any claim may so arise, indemnifies The Airplane Factory in respect of such claim.
- This Release shall be governed in accordance with the laws of South Africa and any proceedings arising out of or in relation to this Release shall be determined by The High Court of South Africa.
The Sling was designed with the aim of creating the most practical and desirable light sport aircraft available.
Some of the characteristics which make the Sling range unique:
The Sling's flying characteristics make for a perfectly coordinated, highly responsive control setup. This gives her the distinct qualities of a fighter jet aircraft, while not being overly sensitive.
The Sling's performance matches and outdoes almost every aircraft in its class, while being highly economical and fun to fly.
Its aluminum construction makes for ease and consistency of construction, while offering proven strength and a longer lifespan than some of our composite rivals.
The Sling's airframe strength and durability means that she won’t break easily and, if you treat her right, she’ll last you for the rest of your life
Her excellent instrumentation options make for a very unique, state-of-the-art flying experience, at a fraction of the cost of our certified competitors.
The wide cockpit, excellent all around view and substantial luggage capacity make the Sling a very comfortable, yet versatile aircraft.
The incorporation, by design, of a ballistic parachute, makes the Sling an exceptionally safe aircraft to fly.